Sunday, January 6, 2008

Things #8

     I have opened a GoogleReader account.  I really like the ability to collect information in one place.  The only folders so far are one for the MISD blogs and one that I call news.  The content of the first, of course, are the blogs of some of the librarians.  I chose some of the recommended feeds from the 23 Things list for my "news" folder.  Of course, after setting it up, it took me some time to read the various listings within GoogleReader.  I really like the ability to scan the headlines, chose to read it by clicking on it, or just mark read if not, then going to the next.  I found that I had already been informed about some of the news articles.  This really speeds the reading/becoming informed process.
     Frankly, I better see how it can help me personally a bit easier than professionally.  However, setting up the blogs into a one stop location is a prelude of things to come.  Because I have been working on this at home, I do not have to overriding to keep "playing"  If only having to override once to get into my GoogleReader account will let me into the linked sites, I see a tremendous advance there.  I can hardly wait until tomorrow to check it out.
     I think that the elementary school libraries can begin to introduce this technology to the students in a limited way.  I want to try some of it with the Quest students I have from 8-830 each morning.  I also see a wonderful application for those teachers who are involved in a master's program.  The RSS could really help them collect information for papers, projects, and research.  Many of them are of the age that technology does not intimidate them.  
This stuff is "way cool!"   :>)

No comments: