Sunday, January 27, 2008

Things #18

I explored Yelp.  I especially checked out Dallas, TX  religious organizations and the Alexandria, VA Arts and Entertainment.  I really like the easy of using Yelp!  It was great to have the map with the linked numbers to the sites.  I did not find First Baptist Church of Dallas or Rockwall on the map.  I will check with the staff members at our church, then create a posting listing our church.  I think some social military organizations that I am a member of would be helped by being located on Yelp.  It is another way to get the organization's name and mission/ministry out to the public, especially the computer literate generation, such as Mesquite ISD Librarians!    :>)

Carol and I will be going to Virginia during Spring Break.  One of the locations on the Arts and Entertainment page for Alexandria is a link to museums.  One museum that interested me is Fort Ward, because I have seen seen the sign any number of times, seeing it on Yelp makes me want to gather more information about it, then visit it during Spring Break.  (I learned from the Yelp site that it was a fort that helped protect Washington, DC during the Civil War.  Interesting, as least to me!)

In school, Yelp could be used to gather information about tourist attractions in a selected city. Additional information could be gathered to assist in making a travel brochure as a publishing activity.  It will be interesting to see if the District filters have a negative effect on this site use.  There was no need to establish an account to view, but there is a requirement to establish one to post a review.

Overall, an easily used, informative site!

No comments: