Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thing # 13

As I navigated through del.icio.us I thought that this might be part of the solution to my problem while working through the 23 Things.  I had to add a link to each of the browsers on several different computers to help speed up the process.  I think that this will be the ticket to eliminate some of this.  I really want to try this on the two computers I use in the library, the one in the office and the one just outside the door to my office.  I have had to step from the library into my office to find a page on a a website on the favorites page.  I will not know the effects of the filters until I set it up.  That will be grist for another post.

I can really see the use of these tools for research.  The tags would serve like folders for various items related to that paper.  Multiple tags would enable a researcher to use an article for more than one paper.  At the elementary level, assuming that these tools are available, students could select websites that contain needed information in small amounts of research time,  tag them, and continue to expand their sources while drafting their paper.  A personal application could be the Quest students could do small bits of research, Furl their information on one computer, but always be able to access it from any computer.  I wonder if that will be possible with the discreet logins and passwords the students have.  I will contact my ETF about that.

  One feature that I though was really helpful is the ability to save that which is needed or the whole page.  Another feature that would help in group projects is the ability to save and email.  This could add meaningful content, but I think its application for elementary school children would be limited.

 

No comments: