Thursday, January 31, 2008

Things #12

For what ever reason I seem to have missed a couple of these. I am now on MySpace! Yipee! It seems to be very easily established. I think. I think that librarians need to know about things that are important to their students. Because this is very important to many of them, it helps to know a little bit about it. I feel that I can at least know some of the words.

I think there are better tools to do things at school that also have less potential for the downside. There are so many horror stories about things that happen to kids that seemed to start on their MySpace. I wonder if this were a school sponsored activity if the district, school, administrator, or the librarian would be found liable.

I also think this would help librarians who have school age children be more alert to the potential dangers and be alert as their children are on line.

3 comments:

rookiereader said...

I agree with you about MySpace. I am glad I know more about it all, but I would hesitate to promote it at school. I guess you are right, there has just been so much bad press I would not want to be held liable in any way.

CoolLibrarian said...

I agree that part of our job is to teach kids about the dangers of these sites. So many of them are already a member that many students would benefit from a reminder about online safety. I personally love my myspace account. It makes me feel connected and social. It is too fun!

swanked said...

I agree that we need to know about Myspace and Facebook. Our students need us to be as uptodate as we can be. The more we know the the better we will be able to help them.